Monday, January 24, 2011

New skills

Yesterday ward and I helped Dewberry Farm process chickens. Terry and Jane were kind and patient enough to let us two novices in the door. We processed about 100 chickens. I won't get into details, but it really wasn't that bad. The process was very humane and low key for the birds. I was on detail cleaning the birds. At first I estimate Jane was probably processing about 1o to 1 faster than me. By the end I was picking up a little speed. Of course I slowed her down because I insisted she inspect all the ones I had done. It is quite a phsyical job. We are hoping to get broilers here on our farm eventually, so not only was it good to know the process, but these folks were very helpful with other aspects, such as needed equipment. I know I still left with 1,000 more questions. Maybe they'll let us come back!

We lost one of the little chicks this weekend. When i went in to replace bedding, give water and food, one of them was flat as a pancake. Not sure what happened intially, but there was no mercy after the poor little thing got underfoot. 34 chicks still left!

No comments:

Post a Comment