Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Chicks!


We went yesterday to Cameron to pick up our first batch of new chicks. We chose 20 production reds and 15 white leghorns. We are so partial to white leghorns since we've had several when we lived in Washington. They seem to have such great personalities. I made their brooders out of clear plastic tubs. They are in the utility room in the garage with heat lamps. Ward rigged a hardware cloth cover to protect them. I have huge paranoia over predators. Snakes, rats, hawks, coyotes, etc. I constantly try to help my hens in the yard look for hawks. Little good this will do if one goes for it...I know! We are trying to find someone to help us learn to process broilers so we can raise some ourselves. This is our next endeavor. So fun~! Don't you like the way this chick is posing for the camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment