Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Can't believe it's March






We seem very busy the past few weeks. Ward is desperately trying to finish the coop for the 6 week old chicks to get into today. I think he'll make the deadline. He will hurriedly move onto to spreading lime on the garden and tilling the whole thing. We should be planting soon! There are still fences to build also. Luckily, the days are getting longer. I will be painting the chicken coop tonight in a barn red. Hope to have pics of it tomorrow. We procured four 330 gallon water containers for rainwater collection. Now if it would only rain....sigh! Dewberry Farms was kind enough to give us a load of composted wood chips and chicken manure last weekend. We took about 3 yards worth and that will be tilled into the garden. I hope we can grow something. I have a small vegetable garden in the bed outside the side door. I have it fenced off from the chickens since they ate everything I planted last fall. I have lettuce, carrots, radishes and kale growing. It is doing well so far. We have been looking at and for equipment to start putting together our processing facility for broilers. My of the time we've been scouring online, but I think we'll probably have to buy some new equipments like a plucker. That's several months away. We are going to the livestock show and rodeo on March 17th. Hoping to see and talk to some breeders about different types of cattle. I am still leaning towards miniature herefords.






No comments:

Post a Comment