Sunday, January 15, 2012

Back in 1996 shortly before finishing my masters degree, a friend told me of 50 acres for sale in Oklahoma.  It was a beautiful piece of land with a great pond.   Being the poor single mother college student I was...I had no shot of ever acquiring it.  But it lead to dreams...days, months and even years of thinking how could we purchase it, make it a viable farm?   I dreamed of growing my own food, raising animals humanely that we could eat.   How to make money?  Bed and breakfast?   The daydreaming about this piece of land (picture me strolling through in a fluttery dress) kept me enticed for years.

Fast forward to today, where I've realized this dream and as I come in at night from the evening chores...with chicken and cow manure on my boots...after a hard and long day of just trying to manage the land....well....it is still a dream come true.   More hard work than I ever imagined then, but far more fulfilling.   Truly blessed with this land and farm and my family.

1 comment:

  1. It was smart of you to write this post while you're feeling so grateful. Can't wait to read your post on the 60 or 61st day of 100+ degree days. Oh, and I'm having trouble picturing you 1) strolling and 2) in a fluttery dress.

    ReplyDelete